TO BE ELIGIBLE:
1. All horses must be registered with AQHA for all Categories.
2. AQHA rules prevail.
3. Owners of horses competing for VQHA awards must be members in good standing with VQHA.
4. No points or money earned can be recognized before receipt of current dues and nomination form. Points/money earned will be counted from that date onward for the season even though the point year runs from November 1st to October 31st of the current year.
5. There will be six categories for year-end awards..
6. ALL MEMBERS (Adult and Youth) MUST nominate their horse with VQHA before any points will count. The nomination form and fee determined will be provided by VQHA.
7. All year end awards will be based on a 1-horse/1 rider combination and compiled separately for each horse ridden and not combined. Exception: Horseback hours & racing as per AQHA rules.
GENERAL RULES: YOUTH ACTIVITY:
1. Points may be accumulated in classes at Registered AQHA shows, VHSA shows, VHJA Shows, and any other show as determined by the Board of Directors, in classes restricted to Youth.
2. Age as of January 1st, shall count for the entire year (age 18 and under as of January 1st to qualify as a youth).
3. A youth must be a member of VQHA, even if they are a member of VQHYA, for points to count toward year-end awards.
4. The Youth and/or immediate family will own said horse(s) ridden by youth, unless a permit is issued by AQHA, per AQHA rules.
5. Youth activity points will be divided into Novice Division and Regular Youth Division. 6. To earn Novice Youth points, one must show with a Novice Card, provided by AQHA with skill sets listed, to be eligible for that division.
1. Points may be accumulated in classes at Registered AQHA shows, in the classes restricted to Amateurs and will be divided into Novice, Regular Amateur and Select Amateur divisions.
2. To earn Novice Amateur points, one must show with a Novice Card, provided by AQHA with skill sets listed to be eligible for that division.
1. Prizes awarded at the end of the year will be an award and/or ribbon for the Champion and Reserve Champion, based on availability of funds in the treasury.
2. All awards are based on a one rider/one horse combination with the exception of Horseback Riding and Racing. Otherwise, you may compete on more than one horse but points/dollars must be submitted separately for each horse.
MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING:
1. The definition of a member in good standing is a member who has paid their yearly dues.
2. A member who has been suspended by AQHA will be automatically suspended by VQHA.
1. Chart A is the point system for all members competing in Category I and Category II.
2. Points will only be recognized according to the actual placing. If a non-member has placed, the points for that placing will not be shifted to a member in a lesser position.
3.The owner/exhibitor is responsible for submitting copy of the AQHA show record of points, placing & number of hours spent riding, verified by AQHA to the point secretary. POINTS/DOLLARS FOR ALL CATEGORIES MUST BE SUBMITTED BY NOVEMBER 15TH OF THE CURRENT YEAR TO BE ELIBIBLE FOR AWARDS. POINTS POSTMARKED AFTER NOVEMBER 15TH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. It is not the point secretary’s responsibility to obtain your information.
4. The Point Secretary will notify all members of the cumulative point standings, in the VQHA newsletter and on the web site.
5. These rules can only be changed by vote of the general membership at a properly warned general membership meeting or the annual meeting.
6. Performance awards in Category II are all classes except Halter classes.
CATEGORY I – Approved Open Shows Based on placings at approved shows with non-sanctioned AQHA QH classes. Classes to count are: QH halter – stallions, mares or geldings; QH YA Western Pleasure, QH youth showmanship; QH YA hunter under saddle; QH Western Pleasure; QH adult showmanship; QH hunter under saddle; QH trail; QH lead line 6 and under; QH walk/trot 10 and under. Specifics:
1. Points may also be accumulated at other VQHA pointed shows that hold regular QH classes. Such shows to be approved or sponsored by the VQHA BOD on or before May 1st of the current Year. Letter of application must be received before April 1st.
CATEGORY II – AQHA Sanctioned Shows Based on placings at AQHA shows including Region 6 show, in youth, novice youth, novice amateur, amateur & open divisions as per AQHA rules. Division 1 – Halter: Stallion, Mares or Geldings
Division 2 – Trail, Western Riding
Division 3 –Barrel Racing, Pole Bending, Stake Race
Division 4 –Jumping, Work Hunter, Green Work Hunter, Hunter Hack
Division 5 – West Pleasure, 2Yr West Pleasure, Green Western Pleasure, Horsemanship
Division 6 – Tie-down Roping, Dally Team Roping Heading and Heeling, Breakaway Roping, Cutting, Sorting, Team Penning Division 7 –Hunter under Saddle, Hunt Seat Equitation, Equitation over Fences, Green HUS
Division 8 – Reining, Working Cow Horse
Division 9 – Racing
Division 10 – Versatility Ranch Horse
Division 11 – Showmanship
Division 12 – Pleasure Driving
1. In division 1, halter, points may be accumulated by placing grand champion or reserve grand champion as per AQHA rule 415G.
2. Any points accumulated by a trainer showing the same horse as a youth or amateur member will count for horse/rider combination in the open QH classes.
CHART A Point System for Category I & II
CATEGORY III – Diversified Category A diversified Category with each division offered having its own unique rules or requirements. Dollars won & points will accumulate from November 1st to October 31st and must be submitted by November 15th to the point secretary. Events as listed below.
HORSEBACK RIDING AWARD RULES: 1. To qualify for this award, a member must be enrolled in the AQHA HORSEBACK RIDING PROGRAM. 2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be awarded to the persons logging the most hours with AQHA on a yearly basis. Hours will accumulate for VQHA from November 1st to October 31st of the current year. Awards offered for both an adult and youth division. Hours must verified through AQHA.
SANCTIONED DRESSAGE AWARD: 1. Champion & reserve champion awards will be given to 1 horse/1 rider combo with the highest year-end Average. Awards to be offered for adult and youth division.
2. The level of competition will be weighted as follows: Chart B A. Training Level - Actual Score B. 1st Level - 1.05% C. 2nd Level - 1.10% D. 3rd Level - 1.15% E. 4th Level - 1.20% F. Above 4th Level - 1.25% 3. A horse must compete in a minimum of 2 tests of the same level at any USDF sanctioned show(s). May be ridden in more than 1 level over the course of the season. This includes regular dressage classes or the new Western Dressage (primary level) classes. 4. Riders must submit a photocopy of the front of each score sheet showing horse’s AQHA name and registration number, show, date, score and judges signature.
SCHOOLING DRESSAGE SHOW award: 1. Dressage schooling shows do not have to be recognized by USDF. 2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be given to 1 horse/1rider combo with the highest year- end average. Awards to be offered for adult and youth division. 3. The horse must compete in a minimum of 2 tests of the same level. May be ridden in more than one level over the course of the season. This includes regular dressage classes or the new Western Dressage (primary level) classes. 4. The level of competition will be weighted as in Chart B. 5. Riders must submit a photocopy of the front of each score sheet showing the horse’s AQHA name, registration number, show, date, score and judge’s signature.
BARREL RACING AWARD RULES:
1. This award will be based on the MOST dollars earned in events that conform to AQHA guidelines.
2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be given in each of these Divisions: ~ OPEN ~YOUTH
POLE BENDING AWARD RULES:
1. This award will be based on the MOST dollars earned in events that conform to AQHA guidelines..
2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be given in each of these Divisions: ~OPEN ~YOUTH
REINING AWARD RULES:
1. This award will be based on the MOST dollars/MOST points earned in events that conform to AQHA guidelines.
2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be given in each of these divisions: ~YOUTH ~2 YEAR OLD ~NON PRO ~AGED HORSE
RACING AWARD RULES:
1. This award will be based on the most points earned in AQHA approved races.
2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be given in each of these divisions: ~2 YEAR OLD ~3 YEAR OLD ~AGED HORSE
TEAM PENNING AWARD RULES:
1. This award will be based on MOST dollars earned in events that conform to AQHA guidelines.
2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be given in each of these divisions:
~NOVICE (all ages) ~OPEN (all ages)
BREAKAWAY ROPING AWARD RULES:
1. This award will be based on the most dollars earned in events that conform to AQHA guidelines.
2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be given in each of these divisions: ~YOUTH ~ AMATEUR ~ OPEN
VERSATILITY RANCH HORSE AWARD RULES:
1. This award will be based on the most dollars earned in events that conform to AQHA guidelines.
2. Champion and reserve champion awards will be given in each of these divisions: ~YOUTH ~AMATEUR ~OPEN
OVER FENCES AWARD:
1. This award is based on the overall points earned in the following classes: working hunter, equitation over fences and jumping. Points are based on actual placings – see Chart C. (Flat classes such as equitation or pleasure can be submitted under Category IV.
2. Champion & reserve champion awarded in each of these divisions: YOUTH ~ AMATEUR ~ OPEN
CATEGORY IV - Open unaffiliated shows:
2. Points can only be accumulated on an AQHA registered horse. Exhibitor does not have to own said horse.
3. Anyone earning enough points to qualify for an award in Category I or II will NOT be eligible for awards in Category IV. 4. Will cover ANY Open shows not approved in Category I. 5.. The Show secretary MUST be listed with their contact information on the form for points to count. 8. Age Divisions as of January 1st of the current year: ~BEGINNER: WALK/TROT ONLY 12 & Younger ~JUNIOR: 13 & Younger ~SENIOR: 14 – 18 ~ADULT: 19 & Over 9. The following Classes will be recognized although the lass names vary from show to show and are outlined as such: Fitting & Showmanship/Showmanship Western Pleasure Western Equitation/Horsemanship Trail English Pleasure/Hunter under Saddle English Equitation/Hunt Seat Equitation Halter 11. Points will count as follows: Chart C 1st = 6 points 4th = 3 points 2nd = 5 points 5th = 2 points 3rd = 4 points 6th = 1 point
CATEGORY V – GYMKHANA Specifics: 1. Points can only be accumulated at VQHA sponsored events. 2. 2. VQHA will hold a minimum of three (3) Gymkhanas per year; competitors must compete in at least 2 to qualify for year end awards. 3. VQHA will point all events held at our sponsored gymkhanas. The member will forward results of sponsored gymkhanas to the VQHA point keeper. 4. Year end awards will be given to Champion and Reserve Champion for the following five age divisions: A. Little Wranglers – 7 years old and under B. Pee Wees – 8-12 years old C. Juniors – 13 – 18 years old D. Novice Seniors – 19 years and older (walk/trot) E. Open Seniors – 19 years and older 5. Points will be awarded in each timed event according to CHART C.
CATEGORY VI – OUT OF STATE MEMBERS
(Based on AQHA Points earned) Points for the Out of State Awards Category V are limited to those accumulated in any AQHA Show.
A competitor must have participated in at least one (1) day of any VQHA sponsored AQHA show and earn a minimum of 5 points to qualify for Champion and 3 points to qualify for Reserve Champion. Points will be based on placing in the class and number of entries in the class. Open Halter Novice Youth Performance Youth Halter Youth Performance Amateur Halter Novice Amateur Performance Open Performance Amateur Performance
Year end points due November 15th
320 Rollin Irish RD
Westford, VT 05494